While staying safe in our homes in 2020, we’ve all found new ways to entertain ourselves. Many of us have baked sourdough bread, planted a garden, and reorganized our homes. If you’ve had enough of DIY and work in the lactation field, may we suggest a new activity to break up the routine: curling up on the couch to watch your favorite breastfeeding videos!
Titles from Healthy Children Project available to stream on Amazon Prime include:
- The Magical Hour, a 30-minute Telly-award winning film exploring the experiences of families around the world with skin-to-skin in the first hour after birth.
- Skin to Skin in the First Hour After Birth: Practical Advice for Staff After Vaginal and Cesarean Birth, a guide for staff to make skin-to-skin contact possible in this unique time period for all mothers.
- Latch 1,2,3, a clear and informative guide on troubleshooting breastfeeding problems to alleviate pain and slow milk transfer associated with a poor latch.
- Happy Birth Day, a video series featuring real births, and real stories, without any cliffhangers, terrifying close calls or harrowing emergencies. All six videos are available to stream or own. Click here for the list of videos and their descriptions.
Also available from Healthy Children Project:
- The Lost Secret of the Throne, a documentary exploring the depiction of breastfeeding in Western popular culture and the evolving images of breastfeeding in art as a reflection of a cultural framework of women, beauty and power.
While these films are great to watch for your own benefit, it may be more useful to preview them as a prospective tool to show parents and staff. Videos can help them understand intuitively the benefits of breastfeeding and skin-to-skin contact.
We hope you’ll enjoy them. Let the binge-watching begin!