ADDITIONAL 175 CONTACT HOURS
Healthy Children Project’s Center for Breastfeeding offers an additional 175 hours of online learning that can be taken in conjunction with the Certified Lactation Counselor Training Course. These hours are only offered to participants who successfully complete the entire CLC course. The participant has up to six months after taking the training to register for the additional 175 contact hours. Once the participant has selected the optional 175 additional hours, they will have six months to complete the course work.
The additional 175 hours consist of the following topics and areas of concentration:
- Lactation Counseling Practice utilizing the Pocket Guide to Lactation Management (Cadwell and Turner-Maffei)
- The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative including the United States BFHI Standards, the 4-D Pathway to becoming Baby-Friendly, suggestions on getting started and training requirements, and the UK BFHI Standards used as a model of care
- Supporting ongoing breastfeeding with a focus on breastfeeding and the workplace. Resources include: The Business Case for Breastfeeding; the CDC Intervention Guide; and the USBC Background Paper Workplace Accommodations to Support and Protect Breastfeeding
- Physiological and emotional challenges to birth and breastfeeding utilizing Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
- Culturally sensitive treatment of mothers and families in lactation care utilizing Cultural Competency for the Health Professional (Rose)
- Anatomy and physiology of lactation utilizing Breastfeeding and Human Lactation (Wambach)
In addition to these resources, several supporting videos will be viewed.
Throughout the 175 hours, there are multiple choice tests administered online in segments. Participants must pass one segment before being allowed to move on to the next.
To register for the Certified Lactation Counselor Training Course and Additional 175 Hours, click here.